In the last few years, South Australia has experienced a huge increase in the number of casinos and gambling sites. Although this in and of itself is not a bad thing, just like many other countries Australia has more than its fair share of problem gamblers.
To try and prevent problem gambling from becoming an even bigger problem, South Australia has set up what they call RSG Courses. These courses train people who work in the gambling industry to spot problem gamblers and help them before they go too far. RSG stands for Responsible Service of Gambling and there are several places to receive RSG courses in South Australia, and attaining one is an obligation that anyone who works in the industry has to fulfill.
With this in mind, we bring you some important information about gambling and how to spot problem gamblers should you be in a relationship with a person who has this particular problem. Some of the signs that a person exhibits may simply be warning that they might have a tendency to become a problem gambler while others point to it already being a problem. In fact, the more signs that you see the more likely it is that your loved one (or possibly you) have a gambling problem. Some of these signs may actually only be obvious to the problem gambler while others are easily seen by family members, and even colleagues and friends. These signs can include;
- Secretive mannerisms when it comes to money issues.
- Unusual changes in debt load.
- Boasting about gambling wins but saying nothing about losses.
- Mood swings including over the top generosity or euphoria.
- An inability to concentrate on important matters like work and relationships.
- The failure to notice what amount of time has passed while gambling.
- An obsession with gambling such as building trips around it or talking about it non-stop.
- Loss of memory directly after or even during the act of gambling.
If you or a loved one has 1 or more of these signs it is possible that you have a gambling problem and you may wish to seek professional help. Like any addiction there are ways to get your life back and control your addiction.